I participated in the first Eiger Ultra Trail, a 101km run around the hills of Grindelwald, Switzerland. There was a total of 6700 meters of climbing and descending with the highest point being the summit of Faulhorn (2680m). The views of the Eiger, Jungfrau and surrounding mountains provided a breathtaking backdrop for an incredible event.
Highlights included, in chronological order:
- Sunrise lighting up the tip of the Eiger
- Amazing wildflowers
- Random bloody nose
- Glissading/shoe skiing down snowfields off the Faulhorn
- Slipping on and then falling in slippery wet cow shit.
- At the an aid station I took a mouthful of what I expected to be cubed apples but was actually hot sweaty "Mountain Cheese"
- The heat
- Seeing Aileen at the halfway aid station and telling her that I was feeling pretty fine despite being covered in sweat, blood and cow shit
- Thunderstorm that washed off sweat, blood and cow shit
- Diving and then hunkering into a ditch after lightning struck chairlift pole right in front of me.
- Bombing off mountain to get away from the lightning
- Lounging in Wengernalp station for about 40 minutes waiting for thunderstorms to pass and for the race to resume.
- Being told to continue although we weren't allowed up the climb to Eigergletscher and took an alternate route down the valley.
- The last 12k which was mostly downhill, I felt amazingly fresh and strong and passed people.
- Expecting totally thrashed quads, my leg muscles were not sore after the race which was really confusing. My main theory is that I experienced The Repeated-bout Effect because I did a big fast downhill run on the Tuesday before the race which gave me sore quads that lasted up until raceday.
Here's some data from the timing company.
|category :||E101 Herren Seniors|
|overall :||E101 Herren Overall|
|Finish Time :||17:19.16,0|
|Overall Place :||56.|
|Location :||Time of Day||Elapsed TIme||Category Place||Overall Place|
|Segment||Time||Category Rank||Overall Rank.|
|E101 Start-Faulhorn :||5:50.00,6||56.||130.|
|E101 Faulhorn-Burglauenen :||3:05.33,9||38.||77.|
|E101 Burglauenen-Männlichen :||3:56.09,5||42.||120.|
|E101 Männlichen-Alpiglen :||2:47.18,2||47.||155.|
|E101 Alpiglen-Ziel :||1:40.13,8||8.||18.|
Here's my GPS data for the run. Unfortunately my watch battery died 6km from the finish.